NYC OFFICE OF THE COMPTROLLER JOB VACANCY NOTICE
The New York City Comptroller, an independently elected official, is the Chief Financial Officer of the City of New York. The mission of the office is to ensure the financial health of New York City by advising the Mayor, the City Council, and the public of the City’s financial condition. The Comptroller also makes recommendations on City programs and operations, fiscal policies, and financial transactions.
Under the leadership of the Deputy Comptroller for Budget, the Chief Economist’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- - Managing and providing leadership to staff of about six professional analysts/economists within in the Economics and Revenue Unit engaged in analysis of local economic trends, including developments in labor, real estate and financial markets;
- Leading the development of local economic indicators, such as Gross City Product, other
economic projections; and periodic reports to the public on the local economy;
- Managing and leading in-depth research on a range of economic issues; analysis and
projection of trends in NYC tax revenue; evaluation of impacts of tax policy changes on
local economy and tax revenues;
- Working in collaboration with the Budget staff in the analysis of NYC budget proposals
and preparation of budget reports; and other divisions within the Comptroller’s office on
various projects and policy analysis as necessary;
- Responding to press inquiries; providing timely briefings to the Deputy Comptroller on
economic and fiscal developments;
- Developing policy-relevant research topics; and overseeing production of reports, policy
briefs, white papers written by the unit;
- Recommending positions on legislative, regulatory and other initiatives; and acting as a
liaison to internal and external stakeholders on policy issues; and
- - Performing related assignments and special projects as required.
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- - A Ph.D. in Economics from an accredited university and seven (7) or more years of progressively responsible full-time experience in applied economic analysis.
- PREFERRED SKILLS IN ADDITION TO MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Concentration in relevant areas (e.g. public economics, regional economics, labor
markets), but interest in a wide-range of micro and macroeconomic policy issues is a must.
- Successful candidate will be able to exploit variety of data sources to generate policy-
relevant research; and possess excellent quantitative and analytical skills, including
experience working with SAS or Stata;
- Familiarity with New York City government; and knowledge of New York City economy
- Excellent communication and research report writing skills which display a sophisticated
understanding of public policy issues expected.
TO APPLY, GO TO: Employment Opportunities at www.comptroller.nyc.gov
Certain residency requirements may apply. We appreciate every applicant’s interest;
however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Note: Vacancy notices listed as “Until Filled” will be posted for at least five work days.
The NYC Comptroller’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer.